It took me a long time to have the strength to share my labor & delivery story. But I am finally here, 8 months later, sharing my experience. I’m not sharing my story to scare or discourage anyone from child birth. I’m a big believer in birth being absolutely incredible. We, as women, have been given the amazing privilege to bring life into this world, and that is so special.

I’m sharing this because, C-Section mamas are at times told that they took the easy road for choosing a c-section over natural birth. I hope my story helps change the misconception. C-sections are at times the most difficult road to take. I too am a c-section mama and I chose to bring my baby alive into this world. This is my story.

*Disclaimer: If you are pregnant I ask that you surround yourself with positive thoughts and people who will support you and encourage you on your birth choices. As I said before I am a big believer in birth and what a privilege it is for women who get to experience bringing life into this world. I am not writing this story for you, soon to be mama, but for the women that have gone through their own difficult birth experience and need healing in knowing that they are not alone.

I had planned to have my baby in a birth center, which I absolutely loved. Throughout my prenatal appointments my midwives were compassionate and caring and always answered my questions and fears with strength and love.

I started having contractions on a Wednesday morning at about 30 mins apart. I contacted my midwife but a few hours later they slowed down. At exactly 39 weeks and 6 days I was over being pregnant and I wanted this baby to come out! So that night I went over to my in-laws house and to naturally induce labor we went on a neighborhood walk. I should’ve really rested, but I was so ready to bring in labor that I walked and walked as much as my body allowed. After that walk my contractions started to pick up this time only 10 mins apart. I contacted my midwife and since I had my 40 week appointment the next day she told me to come in the next day. I did not sleep that night in my head my contractions were really strong. Though I did not know that this was only the beginning and they were only about to get stronger and closer together.

In the morning my husband and I headed to the birth center with my contractions 5 to 10 mins apart. My midwife checked me and told me to go home and get my things ready, this baby was on its way. When I got home my contractions only got stronger and closer together so I told my husband we needed to go back to the birth center. When we arrived at the birth center my water broke. This was at 2:30 PM on Thursday. Since my water had broken and I was GBS positive I was told to stay at the birth center to continue through labor. When my midwife checked me I was only 1 cm dilated. It was devastating. My contractions were 2 to 5 mins apart and very strong. I continued laboring through my contractions with my husband as my coach. I labored for hours and hours with my contractions as strong as ever. At around 1AM on Friday my husband started to worry, I was starting to get tired and my contractions weren’t easing up at all. My midwife checked me again and I was only 5 cm dilated.

At that point I started crying out of frustration and my husband asked if it would be time to go to the hospital. He was worried I was too tired to keep laboring without any pain relief. We spoke to the midwives and they agreed. At this point I was already in an IV with antibiotics. My midwife called the back-up doctor and he agreed for me to go to the hospital. He would continue to let me labor at the hospital. I felt relieved to hear this and his team kept their word on letting me continue to labor at the hospital. Once we arrived it was now 4:00AM I had been in labor for longer than 24hrs.

The doctor told me they would start me on Pitocin, though I was nervous about this I agreed. The nurse asked if I wanted to have an epidural and at this point I agreed. I couldn’t see myself laboring any longer with Pitocin. The epidural was really the greatest relief I had felt after laboring for so long. I was able to rest and it seemed that I continued dilating normally. After 8 hours of arriving to the hospital I was finally dilated to 10 cm. And my nurses started to help me push. I pushed and pushed and pushed, my doctor kept checking me but Mia wasn’t coming out. I pushed for 2 almost 3 hours with some breaks in between. It was now 5:00PM of the Friday I had been in labor for 36 hours and I couldn’t go any longer my body was weak and I had developed a high fever. The doctor looked at me and said, “Honey it’s important this baby comes out, you need to have a c-section.” I cried and told my husband, “please just get her out!”.

The nurses prepped me for surgery in what seemed like minutes. Inside the OR I kept looking out for my husband... he was taking too long, I started calling out for him when I saw him finally in the room he held my hand and the doctor said, “You might feel some pressure.” The pressure was intense. I yelled at my husband, crying “It’s a lot of pressure! I feel a lot of pressure.” And then I was out.

As told by my husband: In that moment the anesthesiologist had given me general anesthesia. And Mia came out seconds later. She was born at 5:50PM. They asked my husband to cut the umbilical cord and if he wanted to hold her, he agreed and brought her to my side so Mia could feel me. "This is Mia" he whispered in my ear. As the surgery was over he asked his mom and my sister to stay with me until I woke from the anesthesia. As he made sure he stayed with the baby.

I woke up a couple hours later. I opened my eyes and saw my sister next to me and squeezed her hand and she assured me Mia was healthy and that my husband was with her. The nurses came in and wheeled me into the recovery room where my husband brought in this tiny wrapped up baby and placed her in my arms.


I spent a lot of days and even months playing back my experience of her birth and asking God why I had to go through that. Why did it have to be so difficult? Why didn’t I get to see her be born? There are a lot of questions unanswered, but there is one thing I can never forget. The doctors saved my life as well as my baby’s. I couldn’t be more grateful for that. Every day I see her smiling face I can’t help to thank God for giving me the opportunity to have her, safe in my arms.

I still meet moms that give me judging looks and comments because I had a c-section without knowing my story. I still get comments from women that mention how I don’t understand what real labor is since I went through a c-section. And even comments from people “Oh you had it easy, you had a c-section.” It still stings. And though I want to reply and go through my story, I know they won't understand. So now every time I meet a c-section mama I get her. I look at her and ask her for her story. I have to be real and admit still feel a tad of jealousy when I see beautiful natural birth photos and ask why that wasn’t my story. But the reminder is there in front of me, conception, pregnancy and birth is HARD. Women are so strong. We are strong when we can’t conceive and continue to try. We are strong when we experience loss and continue to remember and hope. We are strong when birth is difficult and we still love and care for our child. You mama are strong. Don’t ever forget that.

16 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing Juli. I too am a C-section mama (both babies) and I know the stares and looks and comments all too well. Love you and you are an AMAZING mama!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ari! I think you are an amazing mama also, and your kiddos are the cuutteesst <3

      Delete
  2. love this so much, you are such a good mumma to Mia, you went through so much to bring her into this world!! I think you are a hero in my eyes!! love you Juli, thank you for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali. That means so much coming from you. It was difficult but oh so worth it for my little girl. I know that now <3

      Delete
  3. Wow chica, you are a soldier! Thank you for sharing this Juli! I cannot imagine what that must have been like. Keep doing what feels right for YOU. God Bless you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much love! I appreciate all of the love and support , I also think you are an amazing and strong woman always fighting for what you believe. <3

      Delete
  4. Girl this is awesome! You are not alone, I had the experience of having both a natural birth and one c-section. After all the pain of my first natural birth 16 hours of labor and many details similar to your story, c-section was like a dream come true. No pain compared to the natural birth that till this day the memory of labor pains haunt me. Lol Not sure why they put u asleep during c-section but maybe because u were just exhausted so they needed you to be relaxed. Either way Glad you both are healthy and safe and even tho things didn't work out how u planned if it's any comfort at all, after having both, I woulda taken the c-section any day over my natural birth . A lot less pain and stress on both u and the baby. Glad u guys are thriving and full of health and life. That's what truly matters. The journey ...❤️U guys !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gladys. It was tough, but at the end I was so glad it was over. I really appreciate your comment and for sharing your experience with me. Birth ain't easy either way you look at it. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for your transparency ❤️ We are so trained to have to be like Evernote else... That we miss enjoying the story God wrote for us. Uniquely and specifically for us. This reminds me of your post on comparing... We are all given different stories, catered to our strengths and weakness... All with the intentions to draw us near to our Creator! We can spend our lifetime bickering and complaining, leading to us missing out on the beauty of our story by comparing with others. What love God had demonstrated to us that He took the time to write individual stories for all of His creation and how silly are we to want to change and copy the story of another.... Oh God would you help us bask in the sweetness, loveliness and uniqueness of our story handwritten by you!

    Psalm 139:14 I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, in the months after the birth I've really had to hold trust to God to not compare my story to others. It is a difficult thing to do. But letting go of what I thought was perfect has given me so much peace to know that my story was also perfectly planned. Thank you for reading and for your encouraging words. <3

      Delete
  6. Im not a mom yet but as a Nurse to be I have seen both natural and C section births, the goal of both is to have healthy babies and mommies, and I just have to say that you did what was best for your baby and that is beyond admirable. You are a wonderful mom and I know that this just made you stronger :) God bless you, Duce and beautiful Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dini. And it's true sometimes being on the mother's end is difficult to see, but you are right we all ore than anything want to make sure that our babies are born healthy. At times I lost sight of that, but I'm always reminded of that when I see Mia's happy face. Thank you for reading and sharing with me <3

      Delete
  7. You are a great mommy to Mia. You did what was right for you & your baby. The goal of the doctors and nurses was to keep you both safe and that's exactly what they did. I'm not a mom yet, but I respect every Mother that has either pushed or had a c-section because either way, you're still a trooper! God bless you & your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love. I seriously appreciate your comments so much, you are always so encouraging and supportive. I'm so happy we've gotten to connect through this crazy blogging world. God bless you and your family also.

      Delete
  8. So brave to have endured all those hours, I honestly cannot fathom the level of intensity you went through, all for your little girl - huge congrats and admiration from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it really does mean so much to me. It was difficult but I know that I made the right decision in the end. I always appreciate your lovely comments <3

      Delete

Disclosure

You may use the content you find on this website as long as the content used is linked back to the original post.